What is the Flu Vaccine?
Influenza is a highly infectious acute respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus.
Influenza affects people of all ages. Outbreaks of influenza occur almost every year, usually in winter. Which is why it is also known as seasonal flu.
How does the flu vaccine work?
The vaccine works by decreasing the risk of contracting the flu if you are in contact with anyone who has the virus or who is high risk.
It is important to get the vaccination every year if you are at risk, as the flu strains covered every year differ.
Who is eligible for a free flu vaccine?
Administration of the Flu Vaccine is free to all Medical Card, Doctor Visit Card, 2015a Card & HAA Card holders who belong to one of the at-risk groups listed below.
Who are the at-risk groups?
- Persons aged 65 and over
- Those with a long-term medical condition such as chronic liver disease, diabetes, heart or lung disease, moderate or severe asthma, COPD, cystic fibrosis, MS
- Cancer patients
- Persons with hereditary and degenerative disorders of the central nervous system
- Persons with down syndrome
- Persons whose immune system is impaired due to disease or treatment
- Healthcare workers & carers
- Residents of nursing homes and long stay institutions
- Persons with a body mass index (BMI) over 40
- All pregnant women, at any stage of pregnancy
- Persons with regular close contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs
- Household contacts of persons with increased medical risk.
Eligibility criteria are subject to change by the HSE, ask in store for details.
Where is this service available?
Our pharmacy teams are here to help.
Fantastic pharmacy stock a wide range of everything and not to mention the fast and friendly staff always very friendly and welcoming definitely worth a visit and completely recommendCarla
Excellent Pharmacy very friendly and helpful staff ,if they do not have it they will order it in what super service!Pauline
Great people delivering great services & smiles!Tony
Find your nearest store
Use our store locator to find your nearest Hickey’s Pharmacy. You’ll be able to find contact details, opening hours and directions.