Getting the Flu Vaccine
2020 has seen an unprecedented demand for the flu vaccine.
All stores have stock of Children’s Flu Vaccine which are free for all Children aged 2-17.
A limited number of stores are now able to take online bookings for Adult Flu Vaccine:
HSE Vaccines: HSE stock is being reserved for patients over 65, healthcare and homecare workers with direct patient contact and those with specified underlying health conditions. Vaccination is free for those meeting these criteria. If you do not meet the criteria then you must book a private flu vaccination.
Private Flu Vaccines: Cost €34. This vaccination service is for those who do not meet the criteria for receiving a HSE vaccine.
How does the flu vaccine work?
The flu vaccine helps a person’s immune system to produce antibodies to the flu virus.
The vaccine works by decreasing the risk of contracting the flu if you are in contact with anyone who has the virus or who is high risk.
It is important to get the vaccination every year if you are at risk, as the flu strains covered every year differ.
After receiving the vaccination it takes 10 to 21 days to be protected against the flu.
The flu vaccine is available as an a nasal spray for children 2 to 17.
NASAL SPRAY VACCINE FOR CHILDREN
The nasal spray vaccine is given as a small spray into each nostril of a child’s nose. The child can breathe normally while getting the vaccine – there is no need to take a deep breath or sniff. The vaccine is not painful and will work even if the child has a runny nose, sneezes or blows their nose after the vaccination.
Who is eligible for a free flu vaccine?
The vaccine is FREE to everyone in the at-risk groups listed below:
- All those aged 65 years and over
- All children aged 2-17 inclusive
- All pregnant women, at any stage of pregnancy
- Chronic respiratory disease including cystic fibrosis, moderate or severe asthma, COPD
- Chronic heart, renal (kidney) or liver disease
- Chronic neurological disease including multiple sclerosis
- Diabetes mellitus
- Haemoglobinopathies such as sickle cell anemia
- Hereditary and degenerative disorders of the central nervous system etc.
- Cancer patients
- Residents of nursing homes and long stay institutions
- Children with conditions that compromise respiratory function eg. spinal cord injury, seizure or other neuromuscular disorder
- Morbid obesity ie. Body Mass Index (BMI) over 40
- Those who are immunosuppressed due to disease or treatment including those with missing or non functioning spleens
- Healthcare workers & carers
- Household contacts or out of home carers of persons with increased medical risk
- People who have close, regular contact with pigs, poultry or water fowl
- Down Syndrome
- Children on long-term aspirin therapy
Eligibility criteria are subject to change by the HSE, ask in store for details.
Where Is This Service Available
Fantastic pharmacy stock a wide range of everything and not to mention the fast and friendly staff always very friendly and welcoming definitely worth a visit and completely recommendCarla
Excellent Pharmacy very friendly and helpful staff ,if they do not have it they will order it in what super service!Pauline
Great people delivering great services & smiles!Tony
Find your nearest store
Use our store locator to find your nearest Hickey’s Pharmacy. You’ll be able to find contact details, opening hours and directions.