What are compression stockings?
Compression stockings are designed to apply pressure to the legs to improve blood flow and circulation.
They also help to prevent the build up of excess fluid in the legs reducing swelling and discomfort.
They may be prescribed by your GP, recommended to you by a nurse or other healthcare professional.
Compression stockings come in a variety of sizes, lengths and colours. They’re also available with different strengths of compression.
You will be measured to see what size stockings you may need and our pharmacist will be able to advise you on what strength of compression you may need.
Who can benefit from wearing compression stockings?
- Persons with varicose veins or phlebitis (inflammation in the vein)
- Persons with tired aching legs
- Pregnant women
- Anyone with a history of blood clots or DVT (deep vein thrombosis)
- Persons who stand for prolonged periods of the day
- Those who have recently undergone surgery
- Persons who have had recent leg injuries
- Women taking the contraceptive pill or HRT
- Athletes to improve muscle recovery
- Passengers on flights of 4 hours or more duration
- Persons over 40 years of age
Compression stockings are available with your Medical Card (subject to prescription). Ask in store for details. To find your nearest Hickeys Pharmacy click here