Summer Skincare – Tips & Advice
As the weather warms up and we start spending more time outdoors, it’s important to take care of our skin. The sun’s UV rays can damage our skin (i.e., sunburn, dryness, prickly heat, premature wrinkling, etc.), the change in weather can affect sensitive skin and hay fever can also trigger allergy prone skin.
Here are our top tips to help take care of your skin this summer:
SLIP, SLOP, SLAP!
Regardless of your skin type, you should always protect your skin against the sun’s UV rays. Use sun care when outside even if it’s cloudy. Apply 20 minutes before sun exposure and reapply every 2 hours after swimming. Always choose a high protection sunscreen (especially for children) – minimum 30 SPF.
Other ways to protect:
- Seek shade when the sun is at its hottest, between 11am - 3pm
- Cover up with clothes – light long sleeved/legged clothes or a wide brimmed hat will help protect you from UV radiation.
- Slap on a hat with a wide brim to protect your face, ears, and neck.
- Wear UV protected sunglasses to help protect your eyes.
AFTER SUN PRODUCTS
Too much exposure to UV light can make your skin red and painful – sunburnt. To help treat a sunburn or over exposure to the sun, we recommend after sun products to help replenish moisture in the skin and may help relieve symptoms. If you are sunburnt, we also recommend applying a first aid cooling gel, a cold compress, drinking plenty of fluids and taking a painkiller if there is pain or inflammation.
PRICKLY HEAT / HEAT RASH
Heat rash (aka prickly heat) can affect all ages during hot, humid weather. Heat rash develops when blocked pores (sweat ducts) trap sweat under your skin. Symptoms range from prickly or intensely itchy skin, superficial blisters to deep, red lumps. Heat rash can clear on its own, but here are some tips to treat & prevent:
- Aloe vera gel or after sun lotion can cool and soothe the affected areas and if kept in the fridge can be extra cooling on the skin.
- A cold or lukewarm shower can relieve symptoms.
- Avoid using creams and ointments that contain petroleum or mineral oil, which can block the pores further
Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your body and skin hydrated.
Face masks can give your skin some extra TLC as well as providing a cooling effect. We recommend placing your face mask in the fridge prior to use, so it can provide a cooling sensation.
These are a great way to refresh and hydrate the skin when on the go. We recommend a refreshing mist to strengthen the skin’s barrier function and leave it looking healthy and glowing.
Choose a foundation with SPF included to help give your skin the protection it needs.
Help protect your skin and opt for a self-tan instead of overexposing your skin the sun’s UV light. We have a range of self-tan in-store & online.
For further skincare advice visit your local Hickey’s Pharmacy and one of our trained team members can assist you.
- SAVE 25%P20 Protection SPF50+ Face Sensitive 50gSpecial Price €22.50 Regular Price €30.00
- SAVE 25%P20 Sun Protection Kids SPF50+ 100mlSpecial Price €18.75 Regular Price €25.00