OUR TOP TANNING TIPS
Although a tanned complexion makes us look and feel fabulous, UV rays can be extremely harmful for our skin. With fake tan, we can achieve that healthy glow all year round without doing any damage to our skin.
Achieving a natural-looking tan minus the streaks or blotches is not as easy as it seems. Achieve that perfect glow with the following top tips.
PREP BEFORE YOU TAN
Preparation before applying fake tan is one of the most crucial steps.
- Exfoliate and remove hair 24 hours before tan application. It is vital to do this the day before tanning to allow the hair follicles to close back up, avoiding the speckled look.
- Moisture everywhere 24 hours prior to applying your tan. Moisturiser acts as a barrier which prevents the tanning formula from accessing the skin. If you apply moisturiser too close to when you are applying your tan, it will not allow the full colour to develop. However, on drier areas such as knees, elbows, hands, and ankles, a light moisturiser should be applied just before it is time to tan. These areas are prone to build up and can end up looking a lot darker than the rest of your skin, resulting in an unnatural finish.
- If showering before you apply your tan, ensure that you run cold water over your skin to help shrink your pores and prevent them from getting blocked.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT TAN
It is important to pick the right tan for your skin.
- For dryer skin, it is recommended you use a water-based tan. These tend to come in the form of serums or lotions, however there are some mousses that will help hydrate your skin.
- For more experienced tanners or those with oilier skin, mousses and gels are best. They provide a longer lasting tan and a stronger colour overall To prevent staining on the palms of your hand, remember to apply with a mitt!
- If you need to tan your face, using a face tan is the best option. As the skin on our face is very different to the rest of our body, a specially formulated face tan is recommended. These typically come in a serum or drops and can be applied with your hands or makeup brush for an even more flawless finish enriched with hyaluronic acid, simply mix with your facial moisturiser and you’re good to glow!
APPLYING YOUR TAN
Follow these steps to accomplish a streak free look.
- Start by using a tanning mitt. This is always recommended. Not only will you prevent staining on your hands, but it will also evenly distribute the product
- In sweeping motions, begin applying your tan at the ankles and work your way up.
- For the hands and feet, use any excess product on your mitt. There is no need to add any more pumps of your tan!
- When tanning your face, use a brush and a specific face tan to achieve a natural look
- Allow this to dry and if you feel necessary, apply a second layer, repeating the above steps. However, it is recommended that you only apply one coat to your face. Always remember, false tan develops over time and will continue to get darker even after you have rinsed it off.
- Remember to apply your tan in a well-ventilated area and take care to avoid inhaling, ingesting or getting it in your eyes - especially when using a spray
GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR TAN
So, you have followed all the steps and your tan is looking fabulous but how do you maintain this look for several days.
- Ensure you moisturise your skin in the days after you have applied tan, particularly if you have drier skin. It is best to avoid products that contain oils as these can break down the tan and result in an uneven fade.
- When showering, try to keep the water temperature mild. Hotter water encourages the removal of your tan. Always pat your skin dry as opposed to rubbing it with the towel when you come out of your shower.
- To help build up your tan, you can apply it weekly, but it is advised that you exfoliate and wash off remaining old tan to continue your streak free bronzed look.