Our advice for quitting smoking
Smoking is the leading cause of avoidable death in Ireland, around 5500 people die annually, with thousands more suffering serious health consequences.
At Hickey’s Pharmacy we are here to help when you decide to quit smoking. Take a look at our Smoking Cessation Service and call in store to speak to a member of our specially trained staff who can guide you through your own personal quit plan and the various therapies available.
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) reduces the physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal that happens when you quit. Using NRT you are more likely to quit and stay smoke-free for good vs willpower alone. At Hickey’s Pharmacy we have a full range of NRT products to suit every type of quitter. These include:
Nicorette Invisi Patches – These come in different strengths depending on how much you smoke. They work by supplying a constant level of nicotine into the blood over 16 hours, helping to tackle cravings and reducing withdrawal symptoms.
NiQuitin Extra Fresh Mint gum – Gum helps reduce cravings and gives you something to do with the mouth in place of smoking which helps change the habit of smoking. This gum has an instant mint burst and comes in two different strengths depending on how much you smoke.
Nicorette Inhaler – Replaces the nicotine normally inhaled from a cigarette but also provides the hand to mouth action that mimics the act of smoking, replacing your own unique habits as well.
Nicorette Quickmist - This delivers nicotine into the body through the lining of the mouth, it starts to work in just 60 seconds and gives fast relief from cigarette cravings.
Getting the right help and support can double the chances of successfully quitting smoking.
Smoking and Your Body
1 in 2 smokers will die from a smoking related disease. The good news is that those who stop smoking by the age of 30 will add 10 years on to their life and those who stop smoking by 60 will add 3 years. Smoking causes a lot of damage to parts of your body including:
- Smoking causes heart disease and doubles your risk of having a heart attack.
- Smoking increases blood pressure narrows and weakens blood vessels and increases the risk of clots meaning smokers are at increased risk of stroke.
- Smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer in Ireland (up to 85% of cases).
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) is a debilitating progressive illness of the lungs caused mainly by smoking.
- Smoking can reduce fertility in women and increase impotence in men.
- Smoking when pregnant also can lead to miscarriage premature birth, still birth and increases the risk of cot death.
Benefits of stopping smoking
- Benefits can be seen just 20 minutes after your last cigarette as your blood pressure begins to drop
- After 3 days your breathing will improve making everyday tasks much easier
- In 1 month your circulation will improve
- After quitting smoking for 9 months your lung capacity will increase by up to 10%
- 5 years of being smoke free greatly reduces your risk of smoking related cancers and within 10 years it is half of that of a smoker
Smoking and your family
- Stopping smoking greatly improves the health of the loved ones around you. In fact, children from a household where one parent smokes are twice as likely of getting chest infections, asthma and even ear infections.
Here at Hickey’s we are always available to help you quit. Those who stop smoking for 28 days are five times more likely to give up for good. Start your journey today and find out your next steps to enjoying a healthier and happier lifestyle.
Find your nearest store
Use our store locator to find your nearest Hickey’s Pharmacy. You’ll be able to find contact details, opening hours and directions.