Winter Wellness Tips
As winter approaches, we can all take extra measures to protect our health and wellbeing over the coming months. See some of our tips below on how to stay healthy and remember our teams are always available to offer advice for common winter ailments or recommend suitable treatments or supplements.
How to support your immune system during winter
• Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
• Exercise regularly.
• Stop smoking or take steps toward smoking cessation.
• Maintain a healthy weight.
• If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
• Get adequate sleep.
• Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
• Try to minimise stress.
• Keep current with all recommended vaccines. Vaccines prime your immune system to fight off infections before they take hold in your body.
Tips to avoid infection this winter
• Wash your hands well. You wash your hands after using the bathroom, before preparing or eating food, and after gardening or other dirty tasks. You should also wash up after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing; feeding or stroking your pet; or visiting or caring for a sick person. Wet your hands thoroughly. Lather up with soap or cleanser and rub it into the palms and backs of your hands and your wrists. Be sure to clean your fingertips, under your nails and between your fingers. Rinse under running water. Dry your hands and wrists thoroughly. Remember to sing happy birthday twice
• Cover a cough. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you sneeze or cough, then dispose of it. If no tissue is handy, cough or sneeze into your elbow rather than into your hands.
• Wash and bandage all cuts - any breakage in the skin is a possible ‘open door’ to infection. Do not pick at healing wounds or blemishes, or squeeze pimples. Ask in your local pharmacy for a suitable antiseptic cream or dressing.
• Do not share dishes, glasses, or eating utensils if you suspect you may have a virus or infection.
• Avoid direct contact with napkins, tissues, handkerchiefs, or similar items used by others.
• Support your immune system by eating healthy, taking suitable supplements, getting adequate exercise and rest when needed.
• Children should receive the recommended childhood vaccinations. Childrens flu vaccines (Nasal Spray Formulation) are now available in all our stores free of charge for those aged 2 to 17 years.
• Adults should make sure their vaccinations are up to date. Flu, Pneumonia and Covid vaccines are available in our stores. Subject to availability.
• When travelling abroad, check with your health care provider about additional immunizations.
• Make sure your pet’s vaccinations are up to date, too. In addition to protecting your pet, this will also protect you and your family.
Supporting your mental health during the winter season
Feeling seriously blue in the winter months could mean you are dealing with seasonal affective disorder (or SAD), which is a type of depression that fluctuates with the seasons and sets in at the same time each year. Ten to twenty percent of adults can show symptoms of SAD during the winter. You might feel hopeless, have trouble concentrating, lose interest in activities you usually enjoy, or see changes in your appetite and sleep schedule. Increasing your intake of folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin D, while decreasing your intake of sugar to improve your mood. Exercise, fresh air, reducing screen time, chatting with friends, and healthy eating can also help. Symptoms usually reside when springtime comes. If you find it difficult to cope there are medications that can help. Ask one of our pharmacists for more advice.
Recommended supplements to take this winter:
We have a range of supplements in store to support your help and wellbeing. Our highly trained staff will help you choose the product that is right for you. Keep an eye on our website for exclusive offers on products over the coming months. The Revive Active range offers a product to support health, vitality, immunity and energy for all ages. There is Revive Junior, Revive Teen, Revive Mastermind, Revive Zest and Revive Active. Ask one of our team to find out more.
Sambucoland Proven Fit for School are ideal for school going children to help with common winter illness. Redoxan, AYA Zinc and AYA Vitamin C helps support the immune system. Vitamin D which is typically low during winter can be boosted by taking a supplement. There are a range of vitamin D products in store to meet your needs in the form of drops, sprays, and tablets. Vitamin D has a special role in supporting the immune system in the fight against Flu, cold and Coronavirus.
During winter months our skin also needs extra care. Skin can become dull, dry, flaky and dehydrated during winter months due to environmental exposure, central heating and lack of sunshine and vitamin D. We have a range of skincare products and supplements to suit all skin care types in store – Vichy, La Roche Posay, Aveeno, Eucerin, Revive Beauty supplements – visit your local Hickey’s Pharmacy for advice on a skincare routine that suits your type or concerns.